Coffee Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Coffee Mangler
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thanks very much for the help guys. I've messaged requesting to return the item so we will see what he says. He has a nearly 500 positive feedback rating to maintain after all.

The whole episode has made me rethink whether or not I really need a Super Jolly, it seems a bit impractical for someone who only drinks two coffees a day.

·
Slightly Roasted
Anything that converts filtered water into coffee.
6,795 Posts
I saw this SJ a while ago after it was fist listed, it put me off straight away when the pictures show it while it's just been sprayed.

Fleabay Ti burrs are around the £100 mark, Genuine Mazzer 'normal; SJ burrs (033M) are around the £20 to £25 price range) as I'm after some as well for mine. I'm not too bothered about getting Ti burrs for my SJ, simply for the cost factor.If the grinder is working fine apart from the burrs, then I'd get replacement Ti burrs from him, buy some genuine Mazzer ones off fleabay and flog the Ti ones for £75 and make £50. If they are genuine Mazzer ones he sends, then you've got a bargain.

Just to show you what my Ti burrs look like in my Major, here's a pic...

A80BD3EB-3EF2-4C54-A86D-DC04034A2DEF_zpsibzqkm8g.jpg

This is before I cleaned it, and it was caked in coffee (from a coffee shop that had closed down). There's no tarnishing on these, and they are sharp!

·
Locked and load.... locked down :-(
4,864 Posts
Mrboots2u said:
Or has spilt it on the burrs
Must be related to Alien then!!!!

PS OP - Get your money back and buy a decent one... If bolts/screws and what nots are missing you can't trust it as far as you can throw it... and Alien pish or not those burrs are sh*te!

·
Slightly Roasted
Anything that converts filtered water into coffee.
6,795 Posts
Actually, for what you paid, get your money back. There are better ones out there.

·
Locked and load.... locked down :-(
4,864 Posts
risky said:
Seller has agreed to refund me. No quibbles.
Run Forrest Run!!

Good result.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
risky said:
Seller has agreed to refund me. No quibbles.
Good stuff... If he agreed that easy he knows he's been busted (by CSI coffeeforums)

better luck with finding another one. Shouldn't be too difficult though..

·
Coffee Mangler
2,749 Posts
For those who didn't see the sale thread, I bought a used but perfectly functioning (with good burrs) SJ from funinacup for considerably less money. I'm going to put a thread together soon with the various mods I'm going to do to it which will all be machined parts of mostly my own 'invention'. For now at least, back to grinding some coffee!
:exit:

As a final update: The refund was finalised today and I've donated to the forum as some kind of token gesture of thanks for all your help with this issue! Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
Various - but, unsurprisingly, quite fond of a moka
18 Posts
Dear All,

I would be very grateful for your opinion on the burrs shown in the photos below.

I posted in the Lounge details of a problem I've had obtaining a replacement upper burr from the supplier of my Ditting 807 Lab Sweet. Without rehashing the ins and outs of my dealings with the supplier, I thought piggy backing on this thread with just the specific details of the burr condition might provide some useful insights since the contributors in this thread are a self-selecting sample of people who have something to say about burrs ...

Attached are pictures of my upper and lower burrs on my Ditting. The damage you can see was noticed after 8 months of quite light use (approx 15Kg of beans have been through the machine) when I came to clean out the burrs for the first time. I currently have 3 other grinders which I use for fine/finer grinding so a) this explains why it took a while for me to do a burr clean and notice the damage on the Ditting and b) why it has only ever been used for coarse grinding.

Additional information - I have only ever used beans in this machine from a single, highly respected, roastery I have used for 20 years or so. Stupidly, in retrospect, I did not check the condition of the burrs when they first arrived (because the grinder was bought brand new) so I do not know if this was a pre-existing condition, or has occurred during the 15kg's worth of usage.

I have been told that Ditting's opinion is that "the most likely cause" of the damage is a foreign object. This does not make sense to me because there is no damage whatsoever to the lower burr, so I cannot envisage how an overly hard object could be engaged by the burr set and effect only the upper burr.

Any views?

Many thanks for your time!

Paul.
Automotive tire Camera accessory Rim Lens Cameras & optics
Rim Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Machine Circle
Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Circle

·
Premium Member
Various - but, unsurprisingly, quite fond of a moka
18 Posts
Top left of the lower burr looks marked in the pic.

Have you took it out to look
I’m not sure which precise bit you’re referring to. There may be some shadow in the photo or a coffee granule but there are zero marks on the outer rim of the lower burr (which would correspond with the damage on the upper). There are some tiny marks around the breakers away from the rim, but they seem to be natural imperfections in the casting.

best,

Paul.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts