Coffee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Coffee Mangler
2,749 Posts
Mr O said:
I would put it down to experience and return it at the sellers expense for a full refund. The burrs are not as described the rest could be a bit iffy as well. Don't take a chance, get a refund while you can.

One thing about eBay, they are 100% behind the buyer, the seller won't have a chance......
Strongly thinking this is the best course of action for the very reason that if the seller has been dishonest about the burrs, what other nasties is this machine hiding?

This is a link to the original auction if it is of interest:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251975766690

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
£250 isn't a bargain price at all. It would be a fair to middling price for an sj with new burrs. Personally i'd send it back for full refund and then get in touch with Coffeechap for a decent one

·
Coffee Mangler
2,749 Posts
CamV6 said:
£250 isn't a bargain price at all. It would be a fair to middling price for an sj with new burrs. Personally i'd send it back for full refund and then get in touch with Coffeechap for a decent one
I've just noticed the seller follows an eBay user called CoffeeChap? Strange coincidence.

I've messaged the seller, included photos and asked him how he wishes to rectify the situation.

·
Muppet Labs Inc
26,684 Posts
risky said:
I've just noticed the seller follows an eBay user called CoffeeChap? Strange coincidence.

I've messaged the seller, included photos and asked him how he wishes to rectify the situation.
Its not coffeechap that has sold this

Anyone can follow anyone on ebay ...

Allows em to see when someone post a sale etc

These will be after market burrs i bet ....

·
Coffee Mangler
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Mrboots2u said:
Its not coffeechap that has sold this

Anyone can follow anyone on ebay ...
I wasn't suggesting it was. Only an interesting coincidence that someone recommended I get one from coffeechap and the person who sold me this one follows him on eBay.

·
just a member
5,096 Posts
risky said:
Your going about it the right way, first give the seller a chance to come up with an acceptable solution, if not, then press for a full refund. Ebay will back you all the way as it is not as advertised.

Personally Id want a full refund because as you've rightly pointed out, there could be other unseen problems.

·
Lever legend
17,197 Posts
risky said:

Why is this a strange coincidence?, many people follow many sellers on ebay, if you look at my coffee chap account on ebay you will see that i have not sold a mazzer for over a year. I have checked who the seller is following and who actually follows me half of which are members on the forum!

here is what the mazzer ti burrs should look like

http://www.mazzer.com/en/grinding-blades/grinding-blade-t033t/

they look pretty used to me as the coating does not wear off easily on the oem mazzer burrs, however anyone can coat a set of cheap burrs and sell them as fitting a mazzer. You pay your money and take your chance on ebay, luckily you are protected.

·
Coffee Mangler
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sorry again if you felt I had in some way connected you with this seller.

I had found images of Mazzer burrs just like the ones you've linked, but I was struggling to find pictures of used burrs to see how much wear is typical. One of the only pictures I could find was cjonny's sale on this forum for his Major with Ti burrs, and there was very little indication of wear on them.

I wasn't sure if the markings on the side (CF) and what appears to be a serial indicated that these were genuine or not, and to give the seller the benefit of the doubt he never actually stated that the burrs were OEM Mazzer, just that they were new! I tried to remove the upper burr but the screws are totally jammed, again indicating that these haven't been changed in a while.

·
Coffee Mangler
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
coffeechap said:
or that the crews had been overtightened by someone who doesn't really know what they are doing!
Half the bloody screws are actually missing. Two from the top of the doser which I'm not sure what they are supposed to hold. One from the collar, again no idea what these do as the one that is there doesn't go into anything? And one missing from the bottom of the doser to hold the tamper. All in all I think it's a very half arsed refurbishment. The 'bar' that is attached to the adjustment collar is rusty. It would have taken 30 seconds with a bit of emery to tidy it up.

·
Premium Member
15,646 Posts
coffeechap said:
or that the crews had been overtightened by someone who doesn't really know what they are doing!
Absolutely, so easy, as Alloy grabs when overtightened, making them much harder to undo!

·
Coffee Mangler
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Seller has got back to me:

'I can only think this has happened when I tested it, it must have got damp or something similar. I can send you a new set of titanium blades for you to fit or refund some money, please let me know which you would prefer.'
Not sure how plausible the explanation is. I suppose it is possible the guy really crashed the burrs together when testing and/or got some chemical cleaner on it?

What are your thoughts guys? It would obviously avoid the hassle of sending it back. Maybe better to take a monetary refund and put it towards a set of genuine mazzer burrs (non-Ti) rather than the presumably after-market Ti ones he is offering.

·
Tilting at windmills
16,247 Posts
risky said:
Seller has got back to me:

Not sure how plausible the explanation is. I suppose it is possible the guy really crashed the burrs together when testing and/or got some chemical cleaner on it?

What are your thoughts guys? It would obviously avoid the hassle of sending it back. Maybe better to take a monetary refund and put it towards a set of genuine mazzer burrs (non-Ti) rather than the presumably after-market Ti ones he is offering.
Overtightened screws - some missing? Do you really need to think about this? Get a refund and contact Coffeechap - he will be able to sort you a grinder that has been properly and carefully refurbished.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts