Coffee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Coffee Mangler
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a used Super Jolly last week. It was refurbished by the seller (read: cleaned and spray painted) and he claims to have fitted 'new titanium blades'.

Attached are the photos of said burrs. Ignore any traces of coffee as some beans (that smell like they had been roaster to within an inch of their life) had been ground through by the seller presumably to show that the machine worked.

I would not expect new titanium burrs to look like this if they have had only a small amount of coffee through them. Thoughts?

870a485116109b11051504746bd7c0aa.jpg

3becf574af8d77f22708c39dd1cee407.jpg

The dark areas on the lower is some kind of tarnishing?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
eerm, no they don't look too good to me. The top one looks like its been used to play pavement ice hockey!

·
Coffee Mangler
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
froggystyle said:
Buying a second hand grinder from somewhere else than the forum is well dodgy...

I would just replace them, not much cost to it.
Well if you're of the opinion that the burrs aren't new then I surely have a solid claim against the seller? He has said the burrs are new.

The issue is that obviously he isn't going to give me a new set of titanium burrs at £125, he'll just ask for the grinder to be returned and he'll punt it to someone who doesn't look as closely.

Granted normal ones are only about £20 but even if he offered me £20 back to replace the burrs with normal ones I would still feel aggrieved.

Basically my options are:

a) keep it, and get the seller to pay up for new normal burrs

b) return it

Lesson learnt, if it looks too good to be true, it is.

·
Muppet Labs Inc
26,684 Posts
Did you get it for a bargain?

If so new burrs ( non ti ) will last you a lifetime and you will still be in bargain territory, as said they dont cost much ...

Or send it back and pay more for something else

Thems your choices

·
Tilting at windmills
16,247 Posts
Burrs are damaged and need replacing. If the grinder is in decent condition you could fit with non-Ti at reasonable cost and get the seller to cover this. Depends how much you paid for the grinder.

·
Coffee Mangler
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeebsy said:
Is that rust or just dirt? How do they feel?
I don't think it's dirt, it wont scrape off. It's some kind of oxidisation I would say.

I would consider the price a bargain if they were new Ti burrs. I don't think £250 for a Super Jolly with new normal burrs would ever be considered a bargain.

Given the price paid I'm learning towards returning it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I would put it down to experience and return it at the sellers expense for a full refund. The burrs are not as described the rest could be a bit iffy as well. Don't take a chance, get a refund while you can.

One thing about eBay, they are 100% behind the buyer, the seller won't have a chance......

·
Muppet Labs Inc
26,684 Posts
risky said:
I would consider the price a bargain if they were new Ti burrs. I don't think £250 for a Super Jolly with new normal burrs would ever be considered a bargain.

Given the price paid I'm learning towards returning it.
£250 for a Sj with normal burrs is a fair price

·
Major Major
8,068 Posts
£250 is an ok price, but I can understand you feeling hard done by. My thinking would be if he's gone to the trouble of painting the burrs what else could be wrong with it, that just me though.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Jumbo Ratty said:
They dont look new to me, and Titanium doesnt rust and that looks like rust.
I might be wrong, someone let me know please..... But i dont think titanium burrs are actually titanium, It's just a coating and this looks like the coating coming off? But either way definatly not new!!!

In my best Deborah Meaden voice 'I'm out'

·
Coffee Mangler
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mr O said:
I might be wrong, someone let me know please..... But i dont think titanium burrs are actually titanium, It's just a coating and this looks like the coating coming off? But either way definatly not new!!!

In my best Deborah Meaden voice 'I'm out'
Close up of the tarnishing

69fbaf546739415bf1b37a7d3ef1bab4.jpg

·
just a member
5,096 Posts
risky said:
I don't think it's dirt, it wont scrape off. It's some kind of oxidisation I would say.

When Titanium reacts with Oxygen, if forms Titanium Oxide which is a powdery white substance that's fairly soft (on the same order as chalk). Titanium Oxide is very, very bright white. In fact, it's a common pigment in white paint. It's also common in cosmetics, especially powders where it lightens the color, gives a bit of a "sparkle" appearance that people associate with purity and cleanliness, and also helps keep the powder from caking and clumping. The oxidation of Titanium at room temperature proceeds at almost glacial rates.

·
Chin Stroking Joy Thief
3,321 Posts
Looks like someone badly painted steel burrs to make them look new and the paints worn off as you grind. That said they could be used titaniums with worn off coating. Either way they don't look like new burrs.

·
Coffee Mangler
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jeebsy said:
Yeah if the coating worn through like that they're probably goosed. How do they feel?
I'm not really sure what they're supposed to feel like to give a fair comparison. How sharp are they supposed to be?

I've noticed the upper is marked CF (in a circle) 463074 if that sheds any more light on the situation.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts