Coffee Forums banner
8281 - 8300 of 8331 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
COLOMBIA FINCA SOFIA SCREEN and Sumatra Mount Kerinci from coffee compass. Both are medium dark and dark respectively.

Rested these two for two weeks and froze them. I had some hopes for them after disappointed by Java Jampit.

The former does give some fruit notes but disappointed actually with both of them.

Both my daughter, who is us on a short break for one her MRCP exams, and I thought they were just ordinary coffee like store beans - (sorry, please don't get offended 😊) no good flavours, notes and no after-taste.

Both the beans leave plenty of foam at the bottom of porta filter. We rested both of them for 2 weeks before freezing them. We won't junk the beans. We will finish the bags; thank God, they are just 0.5 KG each. I will give them a call, though.

I got her Cuban from them - ground (🙄😞) and she says it is fantastic.

Long story short, we won't buy Java Jampit, Columbian Finca Sofia and Sumatra Mount. I will grab the Cuban and give it a go.

Good week end every one!

Edit : Btw, we opened the Sumatra bag today. It was tad better than the other two.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Last of the pact subscription - Honduras tepanaguare. Lighter roast and finally more fruity flavours. Ground a tad too fine so will need tweaking but still very enjoyable cup.

17 to 40 in 53seconds reducing flow to 8 bar from 20 seconds.

Food Tableware Recipe Ingredient Cuisine

Drinkware Coffee Cup Tableware Cuban espresso
Food Tableware Espressino Coffee cup Wiener melange

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
@Crownandcanvas Honduras ( Pedro Joel Fiallos )

Absolutely bursting with Blueberry flavour, I can't quite remember a coffee that had such a distinctive flavour that matches the tasting notes.

18g in for 40g out, 90 degrees.

Top marks , lovely coffee 👍

Now, do I get a kg of this or go for the Guatemalan to try it , decisions decisions 🤔

@Crownandcanvas do you do 500g bags ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
@Crownandcanvas Honduras ( Pedro Joel Fiallos )

Absolutely bursting with Blueberry flavour, I can't quite remember a coffee that had such a distinctive flavour that matches the tasting notes.

18g in for 40g out, 90 degrees.

Top marks , lovely coffee 👍

Now, do I get a kg of this or go for the Guatemalan to try it , decisions decisions 🤔

@Crownandcanvas do you do 500g bags ?
Thank you! That coffee has such a distinct personality its awesome to see it being appreciated!

We don't do 500g bags im afraid, I'd like to look into it in the future as were planning a bag change soon anyway, so maybe in the new year!

·
Premium Member
15,646 Posts
We don't do 500g bags im afraid, I'd like to look into it in the future as were planning a bag change soon anyway, so maybe in the new year!
I definitely think it has some mileage, with a 250g bag, by the time someone has it well dialled in, just begun to get the best from it...a lot of it's gone and you're wishing it was a 500g bag. Big enough to enjoy, not so big it gets boring. 😊

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had the Ethiopian today, it was lovely. Strong blueberry taste, which is what I was hoping for. Have you tried any of them yet?

My girlfriend like it but said "it's not really a coffee though is it" 😅 I don't think I'll waste this on her, I'll give her the more traditional stuff instead!
I'm not getting strong blueberry, more delicate. Reminds me of an Ethiopian Bookkisa that I had recently.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm not getting strong blueberry, more delicate. Reminds me of an Ethiopian Bookkisa that I had recently.
Interesting, what's your parameters? I can smell blueberry so strongly just from the whole beans when opening the bag and even when cupped it was prominent. I know it's probably blasphemy but we've been having flat whites with it and the lingering taste is blueberry. It's so good. Not as keen on the Kenyan as the blackberry/lime is so acidic and dominant, just tastes very strange in a milky drinks but it's quite pleasant as an americano.

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts
Roundhill, Caballero, washed Catuai - Very nice indeed, not particularly 'out there', nor bright, but syrupy dried fruit notes, clean and lovely balance.

13.5g on Wilfa flat, V60 02, 40g every 40s, first 2 pours spirals taking 13s each, then last 3 pours spirals via can strainer, to 200g total.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting, what's your parameters? I can smell blueberry so strongly just from the whole beans when opening the bag and even when cupped it was prominent. I know it's probably blasphemy but we've been having flat whites with it and the lingering taste is blueberry. It's so good. Not as keen on the Kenyan as the blackberry/lime is so acidic and dominant, just tastes very strange in a milky drinks but it's quite pleasant as an americano.
I'm using a Cafelat Robot to get 18g in, 36g out, in around 32s. Yesterday I got one that was slight blueberry and lemonade. I enjoyed the Kenyan this morning, slight blackcurrant, creamy, chocolate with a nice acidity. I drink all mine with 100ml steamed milk.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Currently enjoying Hasbean's El Salvador San José washed beans. There's a nice cherry flavour up front followed with a caramel aftertaste. The tasting notes mention cola several times, but I'm only getting a very, very slight hint of this in the background - it's certainly not as upfront as other 'cola' coffees I've had before.

I've been putting it through the V60 and the Aeropress with fairly similar results, but I would edge towards a 5 minute plus steep in an Aeropress for enhanced flavours. I'll try and fit in a 20 minute steep in the Aeropress when I've got time as that always seems to be a winner.

Overall, they're a dependable set of beans. I probably wouldn't order them again as there's nothing that leaps out, but they're gluggable enough.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I finally got round to trying Cartwheel's decaf offering, Legoman. Probably the nicest decaf I've had so far, although I've only had about three specialty decafs!

Been putting it through the V60 and there's a sweet lemon flavour in the cup with a smooth finish. I think I'll try it with a long steep in the Aeropress at the weekend as that should ramp up the sweetness even more.

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts
Crankhouse, Cordillera de Fuego, anaerobic natural Caturra & Catuai - Initially hesitant & bracing myself due to the pungent, farmyard aroma off the beans, but absolutely delivers in every aspect on the flavour in cup. Complex, good perception of sweetness. Delicious! Like a coffee equivalent to mulled wine.

I'm not big fan of naturals, nor Cost a Ricans generally, but I love this.

13.6g ground at 32 on Wilfa flat, V60 02 with can strainer, 40g every 40s (each pour taking about 13s), 1st 2 pours direct on to the coffee bed, last 3 via can strainer. Dry bed 3:15 for this brew.

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts
Crankhouse, Finca San Jose natural Pacamara, El Salvador - One of the sweetest coffees I've had for a while, very clean for a natural. Delicious.

80g ground on Lido 1 at 0.88 (likely around 10-11% at 400Kruve, 20-25% at 1200Kruve), 1200g water added to kettle then poured at boil into a Bodum Colombia French press, stir down foam & mix grounds at surface to ensure all wet, lid on, steep for 1 hour, remove lid & plunger pour off surface silt, replace lid & plunger and decant though mesh without plunging a la James Hoffmann method.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was given a bag of Rave decaff - Columbian El Carmen Sugarcane. It is very nice actually - first time I have tried decaff. I can taste the chocolate and vanilla but not red fruits. Sorry no photo! It's nice to have a coffee I can drink all day without keeping me awake half the night!

8281 - 8300 of 8331 Posts