Coffee Forums banner

Torque required to engage handle

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Scotford 
#1 ·
Hi. Long time reader but this is my first post. I have a LMLM. Amazing espresso machine and I've had so much fun using it. It's my first espresso machine but I'm the kind of person who does a ton of research and is a perfectionist. So I've probably watched most of the videos on YouTube to do with espresso making theory, practice and art and read blogs by Matt Perger etc. ? I've owned the LMLM for 5 months now and can confidently say I can make a pretty damn good drink with some pretty good basic latte art.

My only problem is that I have a shoulder injury and I find the handle difficult to engage in the group head. It's not an issue with the machine as I've been down to La Marzocco offices in London (They are great) and tried their machines. Mine is the same. I've tried changing gaskets to see if a thinner one might make things easier. It makes it easier to get to 6 a clock but not easier to create a seal. You still need some torque to prevent leaks when brewing. I've been told that it gets a little easier over time as the group head and portafilter ears get worn, although we're probably talking 1000plus coffees later, which is a long time in a home setting.

So my question is, does anyone have any innovative ideas that don't involve tinkering with the machine itself, that would make it easier for someone with a shoulder injury to engage the handle into the group head? ?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#5 ·
A silicone rubber seal might help. They can be hard work initially but relax well. They are made for a variety of machines so it's case of finding the correct one. From memory I found one for another make of machine on ebay.

John

-
Hi. Thanks. Tried that already. Tried both the La Marzocco orange silicone gasket and the Cafelat Blue one. Both were considerably worse than the original rubber one installed. The original is 7mm whereas the silicone ones are 8mm, so the handle stays even further from 6 Alcock but more importantly, for me anyway, harder to create a seal.

#3 ·
Hello and welcome :)

I prefer a Cafelat seal on my L-R and find it 'softer' when locking the p/f in (if softer be the right word) but I don't have to go over the top tightening it. I can't recall having to that when I tried one out either, not that I am doubting you or LM!

#6 ·
Hello and welcome :)

I prefer a Cafelat seal on my L-R and find it 'softer' when locking the p/f in (if softer be the right word) but I don't have to go over the top tightening it. I can't recall having to that when I tried one out either, not that I am doubting you or LM!
Thanks. Yes I tried the blue cafelat one. It's definitely a different feel. It was harder for me to create a seal with this vs the original rubber one.

#7 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that already and the LM orange silicone one. They were both more difficult for me to create a seal vs the original rubber. Yes I tried the other arm ??. Unfortunately, that's not much better and I don't want to make it worse.

#14 ·
Hi. Long time reader but this is my first post. I have a LMLM. Amazing espresso machine and I've had so much fun using it. It's my first espresso machine but I'm the kind of person who does a ton of research and is a perfectionist. So I've probably watched most of the videos on YouTube to do with espresso making theory, practice and art and read blogs by Matt Perger etc. ? I've owned the LMLM for 5 months now and can confidently say I can make a pretty damn good drink with some pretty good basic latte art.

My only problem is that I have a shoulder injury and I find the handle difficult to engage in the group head. It's not an issue with the machine as I've been down to La Marzocco offices in London (They are great) and tried their machines. Mine is the same. I've tried changing gaskets to see if a thinner one might make things easier. It makes it easier to get to 6 a clock but not easier to create a seal. You still need some torque to prevent leaks when brewing. I've been told that it gets a little easier over time as the group head and portafilter ears get worn, although we're probably talking 1000plus coffees later, which is a long time in a home setting.

So my question is, does anyone have any innovative ideas that don't involve tinkering with the machine itself, that would make it easier for someone with a shoulder injury to engage the handle into the group head? ?

Thanks in advance.
Not an elegant addition but a short length of 32 mm waste water pipe should fit over the PF handle and be loose enough to just slip over as you need it. If the PF handle is quite fat a 38 mm WP could be used. Both available in.black , white, and grey.

#16 ·
Have you tried using both hands and perhaps standing closer to the machine to reduce the stress on your shoulders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Have you tried using both hands and perhaps standing closer to the machine to reduce the stress on your shoulders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Yes I've tried that too. I've probably tried every way of engaging/removing the handle but all of them affect my shoulder, if not straight away, then a day or two later. I'm going to try the suggestions put forth by others if either using a waste pipe or get a carpenter to make something suitable.

#18 ·
I had another thought and wonder if you are aware of anything that might be damaged long-term by using this technique - I could put the handle in and then firmly but carefully hit the handle with the heel/palm of my hand to effectively hammer the handle into place. Same thing to remove it. Obviously I'd be careful and use short movements to minimise any vibration. If I did this, do you think there's anything that could get damaged as a result. Good or bad idea?

#21 ·
Hi everyone. Just wanted to say thanks for all your suggestions. The carpenter had some waste pipe on him and filed the edges so as not to damage the handle. It's about 40cm long and I just slip it on. So far, so good. It's much easier to engage and remove and at times I also lean my body weight into it. It's a little harder to judge how tight you need to go, as you lose the feeling you get when physically holding the handle with your hands but I'm sure that will get easier quickly. So fingers crossed, no more shoulder problems. Thank you! ?

#22 ·
I tend to see a bit of softening on our LM PB silicone seals at around 3 months of use. Or roughly 12,000 shots per group.

I do go for the 9mm ones as they lock tight with more ease than 8mm so were barely locking the handles in at all these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.