Coffee Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Definitely! Been looking looking for a dual boiler system at the moment but still not very well versed. Do you know how quick it would take usually for the water in the tank to reach temperature? Does it take quite some time to heat up or is it similar to a kettle?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the Lelit Elizabeth and it’s fairly quick. Between 5- 7 min to warm up for espresso coupled this with a decent espresso grinder I use a niche zero and a specialita mignon. Either are good enough. And your sorted. Ok a set of scales a tamp and maybe a few other bits. You will not go far wrong with this setup

·
Registered
310 Posts
Definitely! Been looking looking for a dual boiler system at the moment but still not very well versed. Do you know how quick it would take usually for the water in the tank to reach temperature? Does it take quite some time to heat up or is it similar to a kettle?
Definitely not like a kettle, think of it more like turning on the oven and waiting for it to come up to baking temp, about 15-30 mins for most Dual boiler machines to be temp stable enough to make good coffee. It all depends on what you and other coffee drinkers in the house want, if nobody wants milk drinks, don’t buy a dual boiler, if everyone wants lattes, a DB or Heat Exchange machine could be your best bet.

All the above aside, don’t expect to spend a bundle of cash and make great coffee from the get go, the learning curve is steep and wasteful at times, I cry now thinking of the kilos of good beans I’ve turned into undrinkable rubbish. However, a bit of work and effort and I can make better coffee than I can buy anywhere locally, if you’re the kind of person that perseveres you can too. 👍

Reactions: Shibby

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Best advice I can give is understand (ask yourself, write it down etc) what it is you want as an outcome and as a road to getting there. e.g. if you need the coffee to be ready in no more than 5 mins from thought to cup then set that out, then think what else you need/ want, and don't mix up need with want. If you have a budget then set out what it is. Then you can ask for help in finding a setup that achieves what you need & hopefully what you want. Don't buy the equivalent of a sporty 2 seater car when a must-have is the ability to carry 2x adults plus 3 children.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great advice. From the looks of things and the common theme on the forum is that I need to invest in a good grinder as a must. It would be nice to either get a dual boiler or a lever, as it's the process of making coffee that I would enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts