Coffee Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Hoping someone might help with some queries I have about beans shelf life and when to use beans.

• Since being back in the office more frequently I don’t drink anywhere near as much coffee at home as I used to, which means I don’t use beans as quickly as I used to. I was wondering if the shelf life of beans roasted for pour over/filter coffee is different compared to those used for Espresso?
  • I also read somewhere that generally you should leave espresso beans for at least 7 days after roasting before use. Is the same true for beans roasted for pour over/filter coffee.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
For best taste and reduced staleness all beans should be treated the same, it does not matter how you use them. I double bag and freeze my beans, this allows me to use smaller amounts.

Reactions: Mm391

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Mm391!

• In general, beans roasted for pour over/filter coffee are roasted between light and medium, whilst those for espresso are usually dark roast. The darker the roast the quicker the beans expire. That being said, what matters more is whether you have ground coffee or whole beans. Ground coffee stails far quicker than whole beans. Generally ground coffee is good for up to 2 weeks from roasting, whilst whole beans keep well for up to a month.

• Yes espresso beans generally need at least 5 days from roasting before use. This isnt a set rule however, this is a ballpark which depends on a many factors. For pour over/filter coffee i'd generally leave it at least 2 days from roasting. Test it yourself, and see what works best for you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts