Coffee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice job, David, and exactly what I've come to expect from Rave over the years.

Got an espresso recipe for your Fudge blend, please? I can't seem to get any 'fudge' flavour out of it (but it's still nice).
Hi Mac,

I've just had a chat with our Head of Coffee, Ash. She's said the following - I hope it helps...

I would always recommend a 1:2 brew ratio (sage baskets normally allow for a cosy 17g, and therefore 34g yield.) You should aim for a 30s brew time, give or take. Nearer 25s will be smoother, lighter sweet notes and delicate acidity. Nearer 35s will be fuller bodied, sugary sweetness (more fudge flavour), and have a longer finish. The latter tends to work better in milk drinks too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

I work at Rave and was disappointed to find this thread - It looks like we didn't live up to our usual standards in a couple of ways and I'd like to apologise for that.

I tend to try and avoid "rave" discussions on forums as I obviously have some ingrained bias - but on this occasion I thought it needed addressing from our side - I hope that's OK?

@James811 - Regarding the coffee itself - I have escalated your experience to our head of coffee - we do have some of the exact batch you bought as part of our QC process so we'll test it and I, or our head of coffee, will get back to you. I understand that coffee tastes are personal preferences - but if our product descriptions/ tasting notes are inaccurate then that's our bad.

We do also pride ourselves on our customer service and , as has been mentioned in this thread, we do have a no quibble replacement / refund policy. I have personally reviewed your conversation with our customer service team and I can understand the frustrations you experienced trying to resolve this - you should not have been referred to our quiz to help you pick a coffee when it was quite clear you know your coffee! It looks like you were offered a replacement - but that may have been lost in the conversation as a whole and our records show it never actually happened.

I'd love to put this right for you if you would allow me? I'm very happy to arrange full a refund for you - or ideally I'd love to get you some coffee that you enjoy - so if you prefer I will credit your account with a higher value to allow you to try a few coffees? Just let me know what works best for you.

We do really value all of your opinions on our coffee and range so please feel free to feedback anytime.

While I did mention I avoid stepping into Rave chats I am always more than happy to answer any Rave related questions.

Thanks everyone

David
Have to say, when I saw this post I intentionally avoided Rave when subscribing to a bunch of roasters to find one I prefer, but the customer service shown here is excellent and I think iI'll try a couple of bags to see how things go.

It shouldn't have come to you having to see this on a forum and responding David, but kudos for the fact you did - exemplary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have to say, when I saw this post I intentionally avoided Rave when subscribing to a bunch of roasters to find one I prefer, but the customer service shown here is excellent and I think iI'll try a couple of bags to see how things go.

It shouldn't have come to you having to see this on a forum and responding David, but kudos for the fact you did - exemplary.
Appreciate your comment - and if you do fancy trying anything we have a special code for forum members that will give you 20% off ravecfuk

·
Registered
11 Posts
An update from our Head of Coffee...

"Hi James,

I have been passed your thoughts by David, and the roasting team and I carried out a secondary cupping of our Nano Challa and Tegu production samples. One of the Nano Challa samples was your exact batch.

As a bit of context for this coffee, we offered a similar Ethiopian to our Traditional subscribers (these customers are fans of darker fuller roasts), and the coffee went down really well. When we launched the Nano Challa, we wanted to recreate this fuller roast profile. Whilst this was right for some of our customers, we do understand that the descriptors of this coffee may not have been right for everyone. Particularly people who are very familiar with Ethiopian coffees, their delicacy, and how they are usually lighter roasted.

We think this may have contributed to your expectation and therefore disappointment - as a result we are looking at how we can communicate better to a more diverse audience of coffee drinkers, and how we transition coffees from our subscription service onto general sale.

Your feedback has lead to lots of good debates in the team - and we would love to put things right for you, so hopefully you can find a coffee you like. I would personally recommend the Rwandan Bumbogo, which is a super clean natural coffee with lots of vibrant fruit notes. Or if you usually like anaerobically fermented coffees - the Costa Rican El Cerro will knock your socks off - it's the craziest, booziest and fruitiest coffee we've had all year."

James, I hope this adds some sort of clarity as to how this happened. I will arrange a refund of the original purchase and these two recommendations from Ash will be heading your way FOC.

Best

·
Lever legend
17,197 Posts
An update from our Head of Coffee...

"Hi James,

I have been passed your thoughts by David, and the roasting team and I carried out a secondary cupping of our Nano Challa and Tegu production samples. One of the Nano Challa samples was your exact batch.

As a bit of context for this coffee, we offered a similar Ethiopian to our Traditional subscribers (these customers are fans of darker fuller roasts), and the coffee went down really well. When we launched the Nano Challa, we wanted to recreate this fuller roast profile. Whilst this was right for some of our customers, we do understand that the descriptors of this coffee may not have been right for everyone. Particularly people who are very familiar with Ethiopian coffees, their delicacy, and how they are usually lighter roasted.

We think this may have contributed to your expectation and therefore disappointment - as a result we are looking at how we can communicate better to a more diverse audience of coffee drinkers, and how we transition coffees from our subscription service onto general sale.

Your feedback has lead to lots of good debates in the team - and we would love to put things right for you, so hopefully you can find a coffee you like. I would personally recommend the Rwandan Bumbogo, which is a super clean natural coffee with lots of vibrant fruit notes. Or if you usually like anaerobically fermented coffees - the Costa Rican El Cerro will knock your socks off - it's the craziest, booziest and fruitiest coffee we've had all year."

James, I hope this adds some sort of clarity as to how this happened. I will arrange a refund of the original purchase and these two recommendations from Ash will be heading your way FOC.

Best
Nice to see you here David.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So I've been away for a few days as its my 30th today. I returned home to a rave parcel and was extremely confused until I saw this, just want to say a massive thank you. I know I was offered replacement coffee but as I said I'd already ordered a replacement from elsewhere which is why it never got sorted I guess.

This has more than restored my confidence in the brand and will definitely keep an eye on what you have on the website whenever I'm ordering.

I've just brewed some of the Costa Rica El Cerro and it's beautiful

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ordered from Rave for the first time, thanks to this thread, my order came tracked so the postie didn’t post it, returned back to the depot, is this normal for Rave as I’m not waiting in for a coffee delivery when it could be posted through the letter box?

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Mine is normally 4-6kg in a box so cannot be posted through a letter box, but thee postie simply places it in a safe place and all is good. Could it be because it's a first order. Might be worth just calling and asking Rave.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine is normally 4-6kg in a box so cannot be posted through a letter box, but thee postie simply places it in a safe place and all is good. Could it be because it's a first order. Might be worth just calling and asking Rave.
Yeah to be fair think the postie messed up, just checked the box and it says no signature required, it would have gone through the letter box! So sorry to Rave not their fault…ordered last Thursday just got the beans today because the postie messed up.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Made my order last Friday, Airscape and 250g beans, they arrived Monday!
I’ll be ordering a Kg in the next couple of days.
their subtle branding, makes leaving boxes anywhere, problematic.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I got their signature blends espresso. Meh, it’s not really cutting it with me. Not enough umph. So I’ve ordered 250g of their No4 espresso blend. Happily my reward was free postage, this visit. Bargain.

I like strong espresso base drinks. Though I’m partial to the odd straight double, too.

im not going to experiment too much, till after the Niche arrives and I can drive it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got their signature blends espresso. Meh, it’s not really cutting it with me. Not enough umph. So I’ve ordered 250g of their No4 espresso blend. Happily my reward was free postage, this visit. Bargain.

I like strong espresso base drinks. Though I’m partial to the odd straight double, too.

im not going to experiment too much, till after the Niche arrives and I can drive it.
How did you get on with the Espresso blend?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah to be fair think the postie messed up, just checked the box and it says no signature required, it would have gone through the letter box! So sorry to Rave not their fault…ordered last Thursday just got the beans today because the postie messed up.
Sorry - this is a bit annoying. We are looking at letter box-friendly boxes for single bags. But most people do order more than 1!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts