Coffee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not order either of these from rave. I have been ordering from Horsham and Django a lot lately, but these 2 beans really called out to me on the rave website. I haven't ordered from them for a year or so, but had these delivered a few days ago.

I love my fruity coffees and these with their notes of peach, citrus, nectarine etc sounded perfect.

I tried the Kenyan yesterday, awful.

I tried the Ethiopian just a minute ago, even worse.

These beans seem to have promise but have been roasted so dark that they both just taste roasty and burnt with that weird liquorice taste burnt coffee has.

Extremely disappointed and to be honesty I'm considering contacting rave for a refund they're that poor

Handwriting Wood Font Hardwood Recipe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,192 Posts
Do not order either of these from rave. I have been ordering from Horsham and Django a lot lately, but these 2 beans really called out to me on the rave website. I haven't ordered from them for a year or so, but had these delivered a few days ago.

I love my fruity coffees and these with their notes of peach, citrus, nectarine etc sounded perfect.

I tried the Kenyan yesterday, awful.

I tried the Ethiopian just a minute ago, even worse.

These beans seem to have promise but have been roasted so dark that they both just taste roasty and burnt with that weird liquorice taste burnt coffee has.

Extremely disappointed and to be honesty I'm considering contacting rave for a refund they're that poor

View attachment 62487
You should definitely let them know if something is not up to expectation, specially if the product description conveys something that in reality it is not.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should definitely let them know if something is not up to expectation, specially if the product description conveys something that in reality it is not.
It's not like me to moan about a product or service but these two coffees are dreadful. I stopped ordering from rave a while ago after a bad order and have favour Horsham and Django as stated for the last year or so but these really looked good. I've emailed them

·
Premium Member
8,192 Posts
It's not like me to moan about a product or service but these two coffees are dreadful. I stopped ordering from rave a while ago after a bad order and have favour Horsham and Django as stated for the last year or so but these really looked good. I've emailed them
I know the feeling. Same happened to me, with other roasters. I don't necessarily demand a refund, but to say that a coffee tastes of "citrus, peach and bergamot" just for the customer to find the coffee had all the flavours roasted away is a disappointing experience for sure.

same happen to me here - different roaster. I also emailed them.

this was my post:

https://www.coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/1872-whats-in-your-cup-this-morning/?do=embed&comment=843726&embedComment=843726&embedDo=findComment

it was a Colombian anaerobic. Roasted to death.

·
Muppet Labs Inc
26,684 Posts
Yes, I'm aware it's a little early, but they're roasted to a point where they're never going to be enjoyable
Contact Rave and give me feedback

Re early yes, you are :) . I find that way early espresso adds a almost bitter , carbonic water taste , which wont help . I can tend to smell from a bag if its not my roast preference , but i still tend to wait and use em after 14 days .

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
I had the Kenyan beans in December and agree they were nothing like expected. I thought it was just me mind do didn't contact them.

I did find it odd that I had two beans from them, one desribed as 1/5 on the roast spectrum and the other 2/5 but the 2/5 was visibily lighter in colour than the the 1/5. Again not sure if this is normal as perhaps some beans darken more than others.

·
Muppet Labs Inc
26,684 Posts
I had the Kenyan beans in December and agree they were nothing like expected. I thought it was just me mind do didn't contact them.

I did find it odd that I had two beans from them, one desribed as 1/5 on the roast spectrum and the other 2/5 but the 2/5 was visibily lighter in colour than the the 1/5. Again not sure if this is normal as perhaps some beans darken more than others.
Outer colour doesnt always tell you the whole story, as something can be dark outside , baked , under roasted inside .

I find roast level descriptors generally unhelpful to be honest , I try a roaster , do the beans match up to taste notes and or do I enjoy them , If yes , ill reorder , if no I'll mark down to differences in preference etc and move on.

Some roasters will be quite clear in terms of coffee being use able for espresso , some will say all their coffee is useable for espresso ( omni roasters) . I tend to find nowadays that more coffee is not developed enough to be soluable for espresso than over roasted , and I have quite as high intolerance of bitterness / roast.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Raves customer service has been absolutely useless here, they've essentially said I don't know what I like as the batches have been looked into and it's 'all come back as it should'

I haven't used rave for a while, and will never do so again. These beans are absolutely awful and the customer service has been even worse

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is really quite poor. A similar thing happened to me with another roaster where I thought the beans were really under-developed and vegetal tasting, but when I emailed them they were very understanding, said they'd look into the batch, and offered me any other beans on their site as a replacement (which thankfully were better!).

Even if it is 'your mistake', surely it's in their interests to find you something you do like, in the hope of your repeat business? Maybe they do such large volumes that they don't care about individuals, well they can count me out as well.

·
Muppet Labs Inc
26,684 Posts
Raves customer service has been absolutely useless here, they've essentially said I don't know what I like as the batches have been looked into and it's 'all come back as it should'

I haven't used rave for a while, and will never do so again. These beans are absolutely awful and the customer service has been even worse
I mean you can agree to disagree on whether you both think the product is good , but I would have hope they would have offered to exchange it for something else perhaps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone,

I work at Rave and was disappointed to find this thread - It looks like we didn't live up to our usual standards in a couple of ways and I'd like to apologise for that.

I tend to try and avoid "rave" discussions on forums as I obviously have some ingrained bias - but on this occasion I thought it needed addressing from our side - I hope that's OK?

@James811 - Regarding the coffee itself - I have escalated your experience to our head of coffee - we do have some of the exact batch you bought as part of our QC process so we'll test it and I, or our head of coffee, will get back to you. I understand that coffee tastes are personal preferences - but if our product descriptions/ tasting notes are inaccurate then that's our bad.

We do also pride ourselves on our customer service and , as has been mentioned in this thread, we do have a no quibble replacement / refund policy. I have personally reviewed your conversation with our customer service team and I can understand the frustrations you experienced trying to resolve this - you should not have been referred to our quiz to help you pick a coffee when it was quite clear you know your coffee! It looks like you were offered a replacement - but that may have been lost in the conversation as a whole and our records show it never actually happened.

I'd love to put this right for you if you would allow me? I'm very happy to arrange full a refund for you - or ideally I'd love to get you some coffee that you enjoy - so if you prefer I will credit your account with a higher value to allow you to try a few coffees? Just let me know what works best for you.

We do really value all of your opinions on our coffee and range so please feel free to feedback anytime.

While I did mention I avoid stepping into Rave chats I am always more than happy to answer any Rave related questions.

Thanks everyone

David

·
Registered
688 Posts
Nice job, David, and exactly what I've come to expect from Rave over the years.

Got an espresso recipe for your Fudge blend, please? I can't seem to get any 'fudge' flavour out of it (but it's still nice).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts