Coffee Forums banner
721 - 736 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Doesn't come with the portafilter so won't fit yours

I know @Mulligrubwas given a measurement from the top of the OPV by someone which was as good as the gauge reading

Can you help Rob?
I found the 11.5 mm as a starting point. You need to use ideally a portafilter with a pressure gauge screwed in.

Rectangle Font Handwriting Circle Smile

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Arrived today, tested out tonight without difficulty. Thanks @DarkShadow Just to check I'm doing it right...

• Hooked up gauge to the PF using some PTFE tape to avoid leaks

• Poured water into the PFso that it was filled before the GC started to pressurise it (I believe this helps to avoid air in the gauge?)

• Tried with and without basket in place - seemed to get a higher pressure with the basket than without, but also some leakage around the main gasket.

• Fired up the machine and read the pressure - just under 11 bar when I started, so tweaked and got it just under 10 with a bit of vibration

Anything else I should be doing? Does the machine need to be hot before doing it? Any reason to go lower than 10 bar? Should it be 9 bar?

Who's next when I've done tinkering?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Arrived today, tested out tonight without difficulty. Thanks @DarkShadow Just to check I'm doing it right...

• Hooked up gauge to the PF using some PTFE tape to avoid leaks

• Poured water into the PFso that it was filled before the GC started to pressurise it (I believe this helps to avoid air in the gauge?)

• Tried with and without basket in place - seemed to get a higher pressure with the basket than without, but also some leakage around the main gasket.

• Fired up the machine and read the pressure - just under 11 bar when I started, so tweaked and got it just under 10 with a bit of vibration

Anything else I should be doing? Does the machine need to be hot before doing it? Any reason to go lower than 10 bar? Should it be 9 bar?

Who's next when I've done tinkering?
Sounds about right, I didn't bother with filling up the PF. I personally left it a notch above 10 and I'm happy with the result.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Good afternoon @redzocco and all. Is the pressure gauge still travelling the world? If so, I would love to put my name on the waiting list. Cheers, Martin
He last visited the site in July 2021 so I guess you may not get an answer

If there is no-one near then they are not expensive to buy your own although you should only need it once - where are you located?

·
Registered
7 Posts
He last visited the site in July 2021 so I guess you may not get an answer

If there is no-one near then they are not expensive to buy your own although you should only need it once - where are you located?

Yes, it may not happen, but I thought I should at least ask! I'm in Cambridge, UK.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Also check the comments 2 March 2021 by Mulligrub about measuring to get a rough idea of where you are - I have a gauge but sending it and sending it back would not be far away from the £15.95 they cost

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also check the comments 2 March 2021 by Mulligrub about measuring to get a rough idea of where you are - I have a gauge but sending it and sending it back would not be far away from the £15.95 they cost
Thank you for considering it at least. I'll see how I get on with that guide, and order myself a gauge as well.

721 - 736 of 736 Posts