Coffee Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi!
This might be a bit late to answer your post.... I just wondered, if you happen to still have the boiler (and brew head ev.) as I try to refurbish an old Baby Gaggia with exact this boiler - which is, unfortunately - no more available, virtually anywhere... the screws of mine broke today, as I tried to separate the boiler from the brew head. Obviously this machine was never opened in his entire life (rusted like stone) :-(
so, to make things short, if you still own the parts and are interested in selling it to someone, who would give them a new life, I'd very much appreciate ;-)
Cheers and greetings from Switzerland, pégé.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Hi!
This might be a bit late to answer your post.... I just wondered, if you happen to still have the boiler (and brew head ev.) as I try to refurbish an old Baby Gaggia with exact this boiler - which is, unfortunately - no more available, virtually anywhere... the screws of mine broke today, as I tried to separate the boiler from the brew head. Obviously this machine was never opened in his entire life (rusted like stone) :-(
so, to make things short, if you still own the parts and are interested in selling it to someone, who would give them a new life, I'd very much appreciate ;-)
Cheers and greetings from Switzerland, pégé.
When you say the screws broke - which ones? Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok, here are some pics of the 'accident'...
Helmet Machine Personal protective equipment Wood Auto part
Wood Gas Machine Auto part Personal protective equipment

Wood Gas Bumper Wood stain Auto part

the first screw, that broke, was the one, which holds the connector of the electrical grounding (mass) of the boiler. it's the one on top of the boiler - if you look closely to the first picture, you can see the stump of the screw still sticking in the winding below.
then i tried to loosen the screws, which hold the boiler unto the brew head. two of them were very tight, but loosened after many attempts with different techniques. the 3rd one broke - just sprung apart - you can see it on the top right side of the 2nd pic - still sticking in the winding of the brew head. the 4th one couldn't be loosened at all - no way! so i flexed it off (bottom left). the reason they stuck so heavily is, that they were baked with rust into the material. obviously the gasket ring was so damaged, that, by pressure, water drained ever so little between the two parts, so the screws baked with rust...
then, as i tried to separate the parts (again, baked like cement to each other, even without the holding screws), the rim ot the 4th screw opening of the boiler broke away. as it is cast aluminium, i wasn't too surprised... that would even be fixable, but to drill out the broken screws and cut new windings etc. seems like a bit too much of an investigation of time... so i thought, if i could find any intact spare parts, it would save me the day... ;-)
the learning would be, after all, to dismantle the thing from time to time. this would help not letting it get to that point, but the pre-owners obviously didn't care... :-(

p.s. the use of this type of boiler in a gaggia classic (of which i own two myself) doesn't seems like a good idea / practical in my opinion, as the wiring is really VERY different and the mod would be a heavy one, if possible at all!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
So the reason they stick is the steel (not stainless) going through the aluminium into the group head and the aluminium reacting with the screw - that is where the corrosion is.
The group head is salvageable with some heat and plus gas using mole grips and the group head in a vice. The issue is the boiler having broken which possibly could be saved with a washer.
It would be interesting to see the machine - I have one from late 90’s but not like this

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi and thanks for your suggestions - which i had tried already before joining this forum, unfortunatly without any success. this is why i think the only possibility will be to drill out the stuck screws out of. as you, i too think, i'll be able to rescue the boiler, - as the small part, which has broken off is a very exact match (didn't lose any tiny pieces) so eventually can even glued on back and then secured with a washer.
this is what looks like my baby at the moment...
Circuit component Electronic component Audio equipment Computer hardware Gas

(didn't yet bother to clean it up, as i'm still uncertain, wether i'll repair it...)
Kitchen appliance Sink Gas Home appliance Audio equipment
i looked - of course - on the internet, but couldn't find an exact match, concerning the layout of the 4 buttons. the knob on the top is the main power switch - not the steamknob. the year of production isn't indicated but the serial no. ("Matricola No.") is "000606CH" - couldn't find a table by gaggia to find out... it certainly is older than yours, i suppose, somewhere in the early 80ies - found pictures of a very early, 1977, type though, where the "intestines" look even more "antique".

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
@pégé.

I have this boiler taken from an old Baby. It's in poor condition and needs a really good cleanup but still works.
You can have it if you organise the courier, customs forms etc. Send me a private message if interested.
Gas Composite material Concrete Building material Metal
Gas Automotive wheel system Circle Auto part Concrete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Norvin, thank you so much for your offer :)
As for the moment, I still hope to get the thing restored with my own parts. If I'd not be able to succeed, I'll happily get back to you!

P.S. seems like you yourself had to flex the screws of, right? ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts