Coffee Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, I’ve seen people have this problem before but none of their solutions have worked so far.

I’ve got very low flow rate through the group head but full flow through the steam wand.

I have removed the solenoid and verified the holes appear to be empty and have poked around with a needle.

Likewise I have also tested the holes on the main body of the machine and they seem to flow properly to the group?

Is it possible that my solenoid simply isn’t working? And it’s always sending the water to the steam wand. If it helps, I am able to get water out the steam wand if the steam switch is closed.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions?

thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Further, forgot to mention or even take a photo of this, but the solenoid appears to have a crack and be slightly bulged on one side of the black casing.

·
Super Supporter
6,134 Posts
The black box is the electromagnet that operates the solenoid, the crack and bulge means it is not working.
You may be able to buy just the 'black box' but more likely a new solenoid complete.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've literally just had to replace the solenoid on my Classic as it completely failed, a crack in the casing doesn't sound good, mine was burst - symptoms were no flow at all through head, no solenoid click on/off when pump starts, no resistance measured across terminals. The thread is here which may be of interest;

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've literally just had to replace the solenoid on my Classic as it completely failed, a crack in the casing doesn't sound good, mine was burst - symptoms were no flow at all through head, no solenoid click on/off when pump starts, no resistance measured across terminals. The thread is here which may be of interest;
How much did you pay for the part you ended up with? I’ve seen the OLAB part for £50 but if I can save a bit on that I’ll gladly take the opportunity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, it turns out mine already has an OLAB solenoid? It’s a 2011 so perhaps a previous owner swapped it already.
I presume the CEME coil will not fit on top, so looks like I will buy a new OLAB one.
Thanks!

·
Registered
403 Posts
you should be able to hear the solenoid click, as you switch the brew switch, on and off, with the power on.
if you can hear that “click”, it’s most likely you have some scale in the brew head galleries. now, without splitting the boiler, the only way to fix this is with two or three tanks of de-scaler, and a fair amount of patients. You switch on the machine and open the steam valve. You then, repeatedly, click the brew switch on and off. Don’t forget to put something under the steam wand, though. gradually you’ll see the flow, from the brew head, increase. If this fails. You’ll need to split the boiler and soak the brew head, in de-scaler. Then blow the galleries out with air. I’d visit your local petrol station, for air.

if it is the solenoid. No, you’ll need to fit the correct magnet, they’re not interchangeable.
fingers crossed for the first solution, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.