Coffee Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My first time here so it's nice to be on board.

I have an issue I can't quite understand with my usually great moka pot...

I buy beans and grind them with my Hario Skerton grinder. The setting I use is 1 turn of the dial (for those familiar with the grinder) this has worked perfectly before.

Prior to my latest batch of beans, whereby I tried a different brew method. Instead of filling with cold water I booked water, used that in pot and left lid open ready to switch heat off when coffee started to come through... only for the coffee to explode everywhere!

I tried again (brace I know) but this time was a little more careful. Didn't get the samd explosion but the coffee still went everywhere.

So I went back to my usual way of using cold water... no explosion but it's not like it was before. There is a lot more coffee sediment in the top pot and then in my mug as a result. It's not working like it used to. I don't know why! Another observation is the coffee in the basket after a brew is usually a compact biscuit, now it's more of a slurry!

Something isn't right but I don't know what. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Supporter
6,137 Posts
I use the hot water method in my Moka pot, it sounds as if you have the heat level set too high. The water is already hot and just needs a gentle heat to bring it up to brew pressure, try a lower heat setting.Clean the riser tube in the top section to ensure it is not partially blocked with coffee residue.

For safety also check the safety valve is free to move on its spring.

If the burrs are worn / old try grinding a little coarser

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. It's a different batch of beans but the same one that I have had for past few weeks.

It's a possibility the grind size is different as I've cleaned by grinder but I haven't done anything different in that I've set it to one notch from the burrs touching. If it was different would you say it's now too fine and perhaps try a slightly coarser setting?

Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grinder is only months old. I had heat on a medium. Tried it on lower also and still the same.

Will have a look inside the riser now. Pressure release valve I can push the ball in so think that is okay.

·
Super Supporter
6,137 Posts
Try a slightly coarser grind and gentler heat. A difference in bean type age / freshness and the hot weather can change flow.

Possibly go too coarse then gradually tighten the grind to find best spot.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Just tried one more turn to coarse and still the same. Hardly any coffee in to top this time. Grounds like a slurry and the bottom pot full of coffee also! It's like the water is going up through and back down...

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts
rodduz said:
Thanks. Just tried one more turn to coarse and still the same. Hardly any coffee in to top this time. Grounds like a slurry and the bottom pot full of coffee also! It's like the water is going up through and back down...
This isn't possible, once in the top, the liquid cannot drain out again.

Keep going coarser on the setting, it's a good idea to weigh the dose of ground coffee into the basket, for consistency.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MWJB said:
This isn't possible, once in the top, the liquid cannot drain out again.

Keep going coarser on the setting, it's a good idea to weigh the dose of ground coffee into the basket, for consistency.
Not saying it got to the top. It's gone through the coffee and instead of up into the top it's either going back down 4he way it came up or potentially round the sides of basket?!

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts
rodduz said:
Not saying it got to the top. It's gone through the coffee and instead of up into the top it's either going back down 4he way it came up or potentially round the sides of basket?!
Take out the rubber seal & check that the perforated plate in the top section isn't blocked up.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
rodduz said:
I have had this happen when cleaning a Bialetti moka pot. If there are no grounds in the basket and/or using hot water, the boiler does not empty. About 1/3 of the total remains. If when using hot water and there was coffee in the basket, there is definitely a strong resemblance to coffee remaining in the boiler.

If the basket was empty, the water is a much lighter brown. (Gunk?)

When the boiler is refilled with cold water and coffee at the required level in the basket...it is all back to normal.

The OP does not state if his moka is stainless??

If it is, and a Bialetti, they are designed to retain a small amount of water in the boiler. It is a safety thing.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Are you sure that is stainless steel and not aluminium.

I see the label as Vonshef....The do make moka pots in stainless, but a different shape to yours.

I would still consider my reply above as the source of your problem.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I must have misunderstood. I thought your first post said that you had changed your brewing method to using hot water instead of cold.

If you have not had the problem before when using the same method, then follow MWJB's advice and give it a good clean and if necessary replace the seal and filter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've just taken the grinder apart and adjusted the grind to one whole turn coarser and bingo we are back cooking on gas. Heavenly coffee!

Many thanks for all the help, hopefully the problem has gone now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.