Coffee Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was hoping to attach a video of the issue but no luck. So here is a Google link.
IMG_6694.MOV

you can see the wand and water tap work ok but when I switch to the main espresso part it just pumps water to the overflow.
My guess is a block somewhere !
where to start :)
Thanks for any help,

stuart

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Sounds to me like your solenoid has blocked/malfunctioned.

First some details needed.

How old is the machine?
Did you have it from new?
How often have you descaled it?
What water do you use in it and what is that water like on alkalinity/TDS/Hardness?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks for the reply.
I’ve had the machine from you (and actually have a second one that was from new too). I swapped the whole solenoid block and that fixed my first issue (the wand / tap wasn’t working). But now the main espresso part isn’t getting any water.
I’m wondering if it could be block else where. Yes I’m in a hard water area so tend to be carful and descale often (although this time was longer so likely a build up somewhere). I have descaled twice but no luck.
The machine is about 2 to 3 years old.

Stuart

·
Registered
327 Posts
I’ve had the machine from you (and actually have a second one that was from new too). I swapped the whole solenoid block and that fixed my first issue (the wand / tap wasn’t working). But now the main espresso part isn’t getting any water.
I’m wondering if it could be block else where. Yes I’m in a hard water area so tend to be carful and descale often (although this time was longer so likely a build up somewhere). I have descaled twice but no luck.

Stuart
You will need to clear the galleries in the group head, itself. Now you may be able to do this by flushing de-scaler through. However it could mean a strip down. Soaking the group head is acidic acid then blowing the galleries out with air. if You don’t have access to compressed air. It well worth a trip to you local price gouger ( petrol station) to access one.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts

Stuart
If you live in a hard water area you will kill a sage pretty quickly, the pipes in the thermocoil are very narrow. You can't really get around this unless you descale monthly and that exposes the rubber bits to the acids which will damage them.

I still suspect the solenoid might have failed, or is blocked.

But as above says you probably now need to strip it down and try and clean it out/soak it. Running a bit of descaler through now is a bit late I'm afraid!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you live in a hard water area you will kill a sage pretty quickly, the pipes in the thermocoil are very narrow. You can't really get around this unless you descale monthly and that exposes the rubber bits to the acids which will damage them.

I still suspect the solenoid might have failed, or is blocked.

But as above says you probably now need to strip it down and try and clean it out/soak it. Running a bit of descaler through now is a bit late I'm afraid!
Ok something to add. When I switch back to my old broken solenoid the water flow through the main espresso part and won’t switch to the wand. When I put the new solenoid on it’s only does the wand and not the main espresso part. From that it seems like both parts are not blocked. As they function with the one of the solenoids.
I’m really stumped

Stuart

·
Registered
327 Posts
Coudl it be electricity is not flowing to the solenoid so it’s not switching from one to the other ?
oh boy your machine is really putting you through it.
You can, or should be able to, hear the click as the solenoid reacts to switching on/off the steam button.
if you can hear a click, the solenoid is fine.
is the replacement solenoid new, or sh, please. And is it identical to that which it replaces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts