Coffee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got a Bambino Plus just under a month ago and I'm generally very happy with it and Sage (after their CS sent me some single walled baskets) however today I encountered the cleaning cycle and it just seems like a crappy way for Sage to make a bit more money by selling you cleaning tablets.

First of all the manual says that the machine will prompt you to run the cleaning cycle after about 200 coffees. Like I said, I've had it for under a month and made an average of 2 coffees a day, max, there's no way I've made 200 coffees.

Then I watched the official video and thought now how does the water get through the cleaning disk? (And what would be the point of that anyway?) I started the cleaning cycle and sure enough the water seemed to be washing out the waste channel directly into the drip tray, none coming into the 2l bowl I'd carefully balanced on the drip tray as instructed. So I called Sage support and the guy said that yes, the video is incorrect and was made before some changes were made to the machine (right) and what I was seeing with my machine was correct behaviour. The cleaning cycle ends and I remove the portafilter to see virtually the entire cleaning tablet still intact::

48097687382_70dfb048d5_n.jpg

And what is actually even being cleaned here? I totally get the descaling option, but cleaning on top of that seems totally pointless.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've actually not had a problem with my Barista Express on the cleaning cycle. I use a single shot, double-walled basket and the rubber blanking disc. I've not had any residue left or anything on my cycles. Might be worth giving it a go?

Also, the video you're referencing, has a blanking disc with no hole in the bottom, so there was no possibility for the water to get through. I believe this was an old design and I guess outrun because the buildup of pressure could damage some internal componentry. Newer models (don't quote me but I think 2015 onwards) have the blanking plug with the hole in the bottom.

·
Slightly Roasted
Anything that converts filtered water into coffee.
6,795 Posts
Both the BE's I bought have holes in the rubber disc. One would cycle as it should with a normal amount of water in the bowl under the grouphead (using small basket as advised), the other one would pee through the basket into the bowl, which concerned me as it appears the cleaning solution was just getting pushed through.

I've tried the tablets as one machine came with some, though I've got a big tub of powder that came with the Speedster so I use that and the measuring end of a grouphead brush.

I'll be giving one of the machines a go in a minute as I'll be putting it up for sale shortly (other half uses my La Pav now), and see how it works in that one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

I'm from Warsaw, Poland and also had the same issue with Bambino Plus.
I bought SAGE/Breville Bambino Plus last december (12.2019). I was having a lot of problems with cleaning process. And up to now I managed to make 4 cleaning cycles where each of them was finished with exact the same result as shown in the first post.

Two days ago my machine again asked for cleaning. I did it and couple hours later machine asked for cleaning again. I stopped after 3rd attempt (without pill). Today I called Polish Technical Support. And they said that there were a lot of cleaning disks that were wrongly made and they replaced my disk with the new one with hole in the middle.
I did cleaning process using the new disk and it worked as expected. Most of the pill was disolved in the process and some wather was pumped thru the coffee holder.

So it seems the hole in rubber disk is necessary to work correctly.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I clean mine once a week with Cafiza cleaning powder which I got from amazon, much cheaper that buying the tablets from sage.

this is interesting, My disc doesn't have the hole in the centre? I will be giving sage a call.
The hole isn't needed on the barista pro and you are trying to back flush through the solenoid

·
Registered
390 Posts
you are trying to back flush through the solenoid
I get that, but there is that much pressure in the portafilter, when I take it off I end up covered in water and the remainder of the flush solution. after time I can see other problems developing in the machine because there is far to much pressure.

When I put it through the cycle you can hear the pump screeching under the pressure, which surely isn't right.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there, I have an oracle, and my insert does not have a hole in. As far as I was aware, the whole point is to flush back through the system. When I have added a cafiza tablet for a clean cycle, there was no residue in the portafilter after.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
62 Posts
@Dalerstthat doesn't sound right, I have the never version with the blanking disk without the hole and I've never found the pressure to build up that much during a cleaning cycle. As @JSR said, I also now use a cheaper branded cafiza tablet from amazon and had no issues whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
15,646 Posts
It might well be that the Sage Bambino plus does not have a 3 way solenoid valve and uses a similar system to the old Isomac Venus machines decades ago. if so, backflushing them doesn't work great and might be why they had to put a hole in the backflush disk....otherwise the pressure above 3 bar can't be vented rapidly and will hold for a while.

·
Registered
390 Posts
@Dalerstthat doesn't sound right, I have the never version with the blanking disk without the hole and I've never found the pressure to build up that much during a cleaning cycle. As @JSR said, I also now use a cheaper branded

I've emailed sage about this, they have responded saying, you should always use the double walled basket when doing the cleaning cycle (not sure what difference that makes) and the disc should't have any holes in it.

cafiza tablet from amazon and had no issues whatsoever
I use the cafiza but in power form.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.