Coffee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a second hand classic but keep getting concerned about the different models and what the differences are. Much googling has not really come up with the answers I am looking for

I think the standard classic has the branding "classic gaggia" stuck on the front and looks similar to this

http://www.hugoread.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Gaggia-Classic.jpg

Then we have those with "classic gaggia" printed on the front

http://cdn.dealsdirect.net/m/products/30/4030/1/product1_4030.jpg

And then those which get advertised 2nd hand as gaggia classic but are branded "classic coffee gaggia"

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzMyWDY5NA==/z/Ia0AAMXQTghRKK~1/$(KGrHqVHJEwFEokin)D(BRKK+1J1+w~~60_35.JPG

http://images.philips.com/is/image/PhilipsConsumer/CND2X014MENSNCO-IMS-global?wid=225&hei=225&$jpglarge$

Are these latter two a different model entriely? No OPV or 3 way?

Thanks

·
Tilting at windmills
16,247 Posts
If it's pre 2009, it's not Philips who are the owners/manufacturers now. The Philips' era changes are to do with the three way solenoid - not as robust as the Gaggia era. All Classics have a 3 way solenoid and OPV.

·
Banned
4,183 Posts
I thought there was one model that was called a Coffee Classic and that was the one that didn't have a solenoid, or am I imagining that?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
I know that the "Gaggia Coffee Deluxe" doesn't have a solenoid as I used to have one. It also doesn't have an adjustable OPV. Just checked my old "Gold" coloured Gaggia Classic (which definitely does have a solenoid) and the text on the front says "Classic Coffee Gaggia". Like this one;

$T2eC16RHJGUFFh9EojdmBR)JW+PoLw~~60_35.JPG

This machine is quite old (1997) so maybe Gaggia/Philips rationalised the names at some point with "coffee" being reserved for the cheaper non OPV versions. Either way I guess the simplest way to tell is to look for solenoid exhaust pipe i.e. the metal pipe on left over the drip tray. If it has one then it has a solenoid.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Charliej said:
I thought there was one model that was called a Coffee Classic and that was the one that didn't have a solenoid, or am I imagining that?
Now you mention it , that does ring a bell Charlie. I think it may have been the same as the coffee deluxe but with either a different coloured case or a plastic case or something like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

I have 3 machines all bought in 2002 (home and different places of work). Two of them are printed on the front in black "Gaggia Classic Coffee" and one "Gaggia Coffee". The "Classic Coffee" machines have a solenoid and the "Coffee" does not. One of the Classic Coffees is currently disasembled as the heater has failed and parts are currently soaking in descaler. The solenoid is an OLAB. Can provide photos if doubt still lurks.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Resurrecting this as I have been searching for info and came across this post.

I have two gold coloured models a 1997 and a 1998.

Both have Classic Coffee Gaggia written on the front.

They both have solenoids of the larger variety.

The first picture is of the name on the front of the 1998 model that I have completely refurbished so am not going to start stripping it down again!

Second picture is of the 1997 Classic that I am refurbishing over the next week or so. As you can see it has the larger Parker solenoid, same written on the front.

I would have thought the wrong info would have been retracted?

Kitchen appliance Coffeemaker Home appliance Kitchen Tableware

Cylinder Waste container Gas Machine tool Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have just bought one of this old Gaggia Classic cooffee machine, still in the waiting to receive it, anyway I'm planning to restore and mod it. I think that it would be better to replace all this brass parts, expecially the head group because it may be possible that this could be brass with lead in higher % than brass used today with very low lead value. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
You may have a point!

Distribution of the lead in a product is not always uniform though and can depend on various factors, such as initial mixing in the molten state, cooling thereof and subsequent machining of the part. Lead content has recently been lowered in brass though, especially in the US, from 4% max to 0.25%.

But be wary of some brand new group heads as the new 2019+ Classic machines have had some problems with peeling of the chrome covered outer layer.

I'm not sure if it was just a certain batch or a change in materials.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You may have a point!

Distribution of the lead in a product is not always uniform though and can depend on various factors, such as initial mixing in the molten state, cooling thereof and subsequent machining of the part. Lead content has recently been lowered in brass though, especially in the US, from 4% max to 0.25%.

But be wary of some brand new group heads as the new 2019+ Classic machines have had some problems with peeling of the chrome covered outer layer.

I'm not sure if it was just a certain batch or a change in materials.
Chrome deposition can be tricky, it's really not uncommon to see them detaching sadly and this is for every brand. Surely use the machine with the carthridge for descaling can help. That said it could be that there ia fallen batch that is more sensitive to detaching.

Regarding this machine that I'm waiting to receive I think that I'll probably change the Group Head and also the OVP valve which is massive brass. Regarding the OPV valve I was actually thinking to buy this pump from Fluidotech https://www.devecchigiuseppesrl.com/e-commerce/welcome/ordini/dettagli.asp?codice-articolo=9V856 that seem to be better build than the ULKA and also come with a bypass in brass CW510L which is brass with low level lead. The bypass should allow you to adjust the pressure level.

Only note about this pump, it take a diode to work so I think you need to cut the wire and solde the diode on it before the wire itself get connected to the pump but not that great deal.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts