Coffee Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I’m planning to upgrade my old scale, hopefully once and for all. While searching on the world wide web, I found Euraka’s Precisa (Eureka Precisa) bluetooth scale. No, I’m not bothered by the bluetooth feature at all, but it’s a timer scale, it’s capable of measuring 2000g (which is vital as we drink pour-over and espresso too) and it’s smaller than the timemore. Which is a better fit on my gaggia classic’s drip tray, so it’s made me considering it. Price is the same really. I could find much info/review (not sure if it’s auto or not, don’t know if it’s waterproof or not..) of the eureka which normally not the best sign. Hence why I’m writing this post. Should I just stick to Timemore and get a slim/extended driptray for my gaggia?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Interesting there’s not much info about. Firstly, I’m a bit confused as to why even the Eureka site, has no tech spec, for these scales.
I’ve read of problems with the function buttons actually being on the metered area, of the scales. Which seems a bit suspect. Also comment on how hard to read the display is. Apart from that there’s zero out there.

I like it’s smaller size. But id Hang back from pulling the trigger, until you can get a broader customer review sample.
I guess I’m saying that, at the moment, I still go for the timemore.

·
Registered
Drip, mocha, esspresso
14 Posts
How about Timemore Black Mirror Nano Espresso scale?

If you watch James Hoffman review smart scales, your question like mine and James is - what does Bluetooth capability add to the scale functions especially since you are paying for the feature. Here is James reviews, it doesn't include the Eureka Precisa but I suspect it might suffer from the same problem as the others in the review - crappy app.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have both of these scales and I am happy with them. The Timemore is a bit faster and I have not found a way to turn off the beep on the Eureka. On the other hand the Eureka one is a lot smaller - the same size as the Acaia Lunar. Both scales have a minimum weight required of about 0.5 grams. So that you can add beans one at a time without them registering if starting from zero. However, if you start from a non-zero value on either of the scales, then they both register individual beans without any problem. In practice I have not noticed any differences in the results between the two scales when for example grinding into a portafilter or measuring the weight as I pull a shot. I have made a video but I cannot see how to upload it?

·
Registered
404 Posts
How about Timemore Black Mirror Nano Espresso scale? Warning: link is in Canadian dollars - Timemore Black Mirror Nano Espresso Scale - Black

If you watch James Hoffman review smart scales, your question like mine and James is - what does Bluetooth capability add to the scale functions especially since you are paying for the feature. Here is James reviews, it doesn't include the Eureka Precisa but I suspect it might suffer from the same problem as the others in the review - crappy app.
Only problem, for me is. You need several different weights, in order to calibrate it. And calibration seems to be needed, quite often, when you first open the box. That’s if it works at all. (see YouTube vid above) Which could well be a deal breaker, for many. May be worth looking into QC of any option, to be fair.
to be honest they’re all much of a muchness. Good, don’t get me wrong. But ultimately just mass produced Chinese product.

though I’m desperate to find an option, the basic Timemore’s win in this .

remember they all break when you drop em. Which is a fair point when thinking of spending up to 3 figures on a item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about Timemore Black Mirror Nano Espresso scale?

As I mentioned, I don’t bothered by the app feature, I’d probably never use it..

I have both of these scales and I am happy with them. The Timemore is a bit faster and I have not found a way to turn off the beep on the Eureka. On the other hand the Eureka one is a lot smaller - the same size as the Acaia Lunar. Both scales have a minimum weight required of about 0.5 grams. So that you can add beans one at a time without them registering if starting from zero. However, if you start from a non-zero value on either of the scales, then they both register individual beans without any problem. In practice I have not noticed any differences in the results between the two scales when for example grinding into a portafilter or measuring the weight as I pull a shot. I have made a video but I cannot see how to upload it?
does the eureka start the timer automatically?

·
Admin
Tree hugging biker
1,789 Posts
...does the eureka start the timer automatically?
I can't vouch for the Eureka but the Timemore has an "auto-timer" function built in...it's normally not mentioned in reviews etc. and is shipped with it disabled by default, but simple enough to enable.

Reactions: Bobeek

·
Registered
404 Posts
I can't vouch for the Eureka but the Timemore has an "auto-timer" function built in...it's normally not mentioned in reviews etc. and is shipped with it disabled by default, but simple enough to enable.
But don’t we measure the shot time, from switching the brew switch on, not when the first coffee comes out?

·
Admin
Tree hugging biker
1,789 Posts
Brew switch ??? lol(don't have one), ...anyhow i think the auto-timer is for brew/drip method iirc...i don't use the function anymore, although some may find it useful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But don’t we measure the shot time, from switching the brew switch on, not when the first coffee comes out?
Yeah, sorry forgot to mention, it’s for pour over only.. it isn’t a great deal though, I think I could live without it..

anyways, since Bella Barista is the only one who’s actually selling them in the UK, I’ve emailed them for more info.. :)

·
Admin
Tree hugging biker
1,789 Posts
Who’d you start you shots?
After 7-10 seconds pre-infusion or after the first couple of drips (or whichever comes first) i then let go of the lever; the lever rises, out comes brown liquid (hopefully).

Reactions: Irisco

·
Registered
113 Posts
(y)Felicita Arc(y) Oh, just re-read the original post and you would use it for pour over too. Hmm . . . Felicita Arc isn't big enough for that. I use a cheap (£13?) scale with a timer for my Clever Dripper. I think the Arc has some 'smart' functionality but I don't use it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts