Coffee Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a mechanical point of view I think I am comfortable with my conclusion but here goes.
If bean A requires a setting of 1 on the stepless adjuster and bean B requires 1.5, there shouldn't be an issue with "dry running" the grinder on the "new" setting for a few seconds, to settle the burrs before adding the new beans.
To add, I am single dosing, using a single dose hopper and bellows. I am confident that I am achieving minimal retention.
TIA.

·
Premium Member
10,535 Posts
If you have minimal retention (e.g. +/-0.5g dose consistency) running the burr between changes will have minimal effect.

Running the burrs between changes just flushes out old coffee particles, the burrs are bolted in place, they don't settle, nor unsettle.

Either way, chucking a bean or two in the grinder between doses, is no issue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Interesting that your using the bellows. I have the single dose and bellow but stopped using the bellow. I found that if you blow the retention stuff out, you just need to replace that space in the grinder with more bean grind the next time around. Also it doesn’t blow all out anyway, still a lot in there if you strip it and clean. Then the stuff that was blown out I put in the bin as it always seemed to fine and the taste was off. I now just flush the grinder if not used for 24 hrs or if using a different bean. I just use about 10 g of beans to flush. Also strip and clean the grinder about once a month. I get very good consistency with my way of working and great grind and flavours.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Currently swapping between a caf bean used for morning drinks to decaf bean for afternoon drinks. Running the grinder for a few seconds after adjusting to the new setting for the different bean, blowing through with the bellows to clear out the previous bean. Seems to be working for me as I can switch between the two beans quickly, little or no waste and still hitting 18/36/28 ish. Tastes good too 😋.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Currently swapping between a caf bean used for morning drinks to decaf bean for afternoon drinks. Running the grinder for a few seconds after adjusting to the new setting for the different bean, blowing through with the bellows to clear out the previous bean. Seems to be working for me as I can switch between the two beans quickly, little or no waste and still hitting 18/36/28 ish. Tastes good too 😋.
Sounds good. I have the beauty of the two grinders so no need to clean them out. Unless I end up with three different beans on the go I guess. Highly unlikely. But I’m getting a lovely grind and great consistency with the mignon and the niche is just that little better and will grind at more levels of espresso. But loving my coffee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts