Coffee Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an early adopter, I've had my Niche for some time now and it has given good service. It is lightly used, perhaps an average of two grinds daily. Last week, it suddenly stopped in mid-grind . It would only briefly pulse when switched off and on. I reported the faiult to James at Niche and he suggested it might be the PCB. After a frustrating wait while DPD got their act together, the new PCB arrived FOC. To replace the PCB it is necessary to strip out the burrs and remove the cap and the chute, but it is relatively easy to do and only requires Allen keys and a Philips crewdriver. The old PCB showed signs of overheating and a resistor on the board was fried. So I was confident that replacing the PCB would restore my grinder to full health. No such luck. It showed the same fault. I then did a thorough strip, removing the motor and gearbox. The gearbox was undamaged and the motor turned freely by hand, but even with the gear train removed, the motor only pulsed briefly. With the motor removed,there was a strong smell of burnt windings. The motor was cream-crackered. There was no prior warning that something was amiss.

It seems that failures of this sort are rare (why me, Lord?). The machine is well out of warranty and though James at Niche has been prompt and courteous and supplied me with a free PCB, a new motor is a bridge too far. They won't even give me a discount on a new grinder.

This post is just a moan about my bad luck, because there's no solution and I'll have to decide whether I should risk another Niche or spend a lot more on a ceado E5SD. But if anyone needs any spare parts, (except the motor of course), I may be able to oblige.

·
Admin
Tree hugging biker
1,789 Posts
Board AND motor...oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...and NO DISCOUNT :rolleyes:o_O:(:confused::eek: well, well, well...wonders will never cease.

FWIW i wouldn't risk getting another...save up some extra money and get something that is built to last...once bitten, twice shy as they say.

·
Admin
Tree hugging biker
1,789 Posts
Hi all,

this post had 2 troll accounts within a very short period of time after it going live; i'm no lover of this particular grinder but even i thought those comments were too risque'...so as i was tired and needed some sleep i locked the post to prevent any further troll-action in my absence. Now i'm awake and can keep track of things (trolls) i'll re-open this thread/post. If however this post turns ugly (it may not) then i'll re-lock it.

Positive or negative comments are obviously allowed...but flaming wars, name calling, shilling, etc. etc will not be tolerated...the forum has TOC's for a reason, so please be mindful of them with your post's.
..............................​

@cogent1 i'm led to believe you can get the motor for $10 USD...that should be a cheap fix (cheaper than new grinder) if you decided to put it back into service. Good luck with whatever route you decide to take.

·
Admin
Tree hugging biker
1,789 Posts
Now re-opened...have fun.

·
Registered
404 Posts
This, I fear, we will have to get used to. The only spares, those sourcing their equipment from China will ever have, are Items culled from return gear and bits scavenged from a small stock of machines they will have.
ill bet Niché, beyond knowing it fits their perimeters, ain’t got a skooby just which DC motor. Is actually being used. Indeed it may be sourced from more than one supplier.

now this is, thankfully, rare.
But a half K grinder, that can’t be fixed if the motor goes, even a day after your guarantee runs out. Has to be problematic.
I’m an owner by the way.
it does leave a gap in the market. There’s nothing stopping someone from sourcing compatible motors too.

·
Careful Now
2,286 Posts
I'm far from an expert in these matters but I think that the motor in the Niche is a brushed motor which makes it a part that will eventually wear out. Therefore it would seem incumbent upon Niche to be able to supply replacement motors. In fact doesn't the EU "right to repair" directive mandate just this? Before someone snarks up that we aren't a part of the EU anymore, I am well aware of that but wouldn't parts; such as a motor be at least available to European customers.

The above may all be tosh and I am happy to be called on that.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm far from an expert in these matters but I think that the motor in the Niche is a brushed motor which makes it a part that will eventually wear out. Therefore it would seem incumbent upon Niche to be able to supply replacement motors. In fact doesn't the EU "right to repair" directive mandate just this? Before someone snarks up that we aren't a part of the EU anymore, I am well aware of that but wouldn't parts; such as a motor be at least available to European customers.

The above may all be tosh and I am happy to be called on that.
You’d think, wouldn’t you.
But it seems Grinders are not white goods, therefore not covered by the right to repair law, you refer to.
though a legal claim through trading standards, could possibly be a way forward.
Sadly or gov, for the last 12 years, have been busy making legal help too expensive, for most. So I’m not holding my breath.

there’s currently nothing in U.K. or EU law, forcing a maker to sell spares . Indeed Niché isn’t even a maker, in the true sense the word. They sell a product someone else makes, to their spec.

time to trawl the Chinese wholesalers. That motor is a mass produced item. Niché just don’t sell enough grinders, for it to be a bespoke item.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK, I'm no expert on the Niche, and it actually sounds like a really nice grinder. I'd be really surprised if the brushes were worn out already with that kind of use. It's very possible that the contacts are dirty or corroded. I have restored many motors simply by taking them apart and cleaning the contacts. It's not difficult to do and doesn't take a whole lot of skill. Are you sure the problem is the motor for sure? Could there be other electronic or switch issues? I have a Krupps grinder and the timer circuit quit. I simply rewired it to bypass the timer circuit altogether. Also check for broken wires. Sometimes you won't be able to see the break because it will be broken inside the insulation. If you have a multimetre or voltmeter you should be able to figure out what part is failing.

·
Registered
404 Posts
OK, I'm no expert on the Niche, and it actually sounds like a really nice grinder. I'd be really surprised if the brushes were worn out already with that kind of use. It's very possible that the contacts are dirty or corroded. I have restored many motors simply by taking them apart and cleaning the contacts. It's not difficult to do and doesn't take a whole lot of skill. Are you sure the problem is the motor for sure? Could there be other electronic or switch issues? I have a Krupps grinder and the timer circuit quit. I simply rewired it to bypass the timer circuit altogether. Also check for broken wires. Sometimes you won't be able to see the break because it will be broken inside the insulation. If you have a multimetre or voltmeter you should be able to figure out what part is failing.
The op did mention he changed the PCB, in their post. There is nothing else to change, electrically speaking.
he went into quite a bit of detail too.
kinda irrelevant though. The main point here is a £500 grinder that can’t be repaired, if a motor fails, and that’s whilst they are still selling brand new units, and the thing is still in production.

ok so, despite my age, I get £500 isn’t a massive amount. But it’s more than many washing machines, yet they have the right to repair.

I lay this firmly at the door of Niché. And their total lack of care for their customers. You’d think, being as it’s so rare, Nich would have replaced the motor, even if they charged, for it. But no. They shrugged their shoulders and pocketed the money.

Undoubtedly, the Niché is an excellent grinder. But it won’t take many reports, like that of the OP, to put a fair dent in sales.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
The motor is made for niche, it's a custom wound motor,

@cogent1 did niche tell you no to having a motor, or did you just ask for a machine,

They are a brushed motor, and when I got my used niche opened it up to clean, and saw carbon deposits, so asked and was told motors could be replaced, they don't sell spares as they rarely fail,

I only know of a few, that have I don't know how many they have sold,

It's out of warranty so it's a kicker I know that, perhaps it needs brushes?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Initially, Niche did not offer to repair the grinder. They sent me a pcb free of charge, but that didn't cure the fault. When I pressed them about a discount on a new grinder, they refused, but finally said they would repair the faulty one for about £30. As it needs a new motor, I would think that the cost of a new motor to them is not very great. It makes sense for me to have it repaired, rather than splashing out £500 for a new one. But I wish I could afford a Ceado E5SD instead!

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I found Niche really helpful when mine had rattling and it was just out of warranty. James who is one of the owners & not some random customer service person responded directly and gave me the option of having the grinder back for repair or to send out all the necessary parts. I assumed they wouldn't be interested in helping me as they were within their rights to refuse to do anything but they couldn't have been more helpful. I think this shows they are committed to their product and for people to have a positive experience.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
İnteresting as in this video the guy mentioned Niche replaced motor for free even though it was out of warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The op did mention he changed the PCB, in their post. There is nothing else to change, electrically speaking.
he went into quite a bit of detail too.
kinda irrelevant though. The main point here is a £500 grinder that can’t be repaired, if a motor fails, and that’s whilst they are still selling brand new units, and the thing is still in production.

ok so, despite my age, I get £500 isn’t a massive amount. But it’s more than many washing machines, yet they have the right to repair.

I lay this firmly at the door of Niché. And their total lack of care for their customers. You’d think, being as it’s so rare, Nich would have replaced the motor, even if they charged, for it. But no. They shrugged their shoulders and pocketed the money.

Undoubtedly, the Niché is an excellent grinder. But it won’t take many reports, like that of the OP, to put a fair dent in sales.

I get it, especially at the price you guys pay for the Niche. Besides the PCB, there are wires and switches that could fail as well, unless Niche supplied all new wiring and new switches. If you have a multimeter or voltmeter you could verify that they are working properly before blaming the motor. I have had wiring and switches fail all too often.

For interest sake, I came across this problem: (I hope it's okay to link this...)

I would certainly consider getting some lock washers or locktite for those screws after seeing this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd like to make it clear that it was an error on my part to assume that a repair was not available to me. It was just not mentioned at the outset and I jumped to the wrong conclusion. I am now happy to pay for the repair, as it is a fraction of the cost of a new grinder. I don't expect to get the grinder repaired FOC, as it is way, way outside the warranty period. So the matter has been satisfactorily resolved.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.