Coffee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a modest windfall and am looking to spend a portion on my equipment.

it’s not enough to cover an espresso machine. My Classic still has more to offer me, as I advance. But it will get a new shower holder, so it won’t feel too left out.
so I’m looking for advice on my grinder and scales.
I’ve set a limit of £550 for the grinder
I’ve currently an MC2 with mini hopper, as my grinder. My first though is a new Niche. But then a single does Solo DF62, SH all so appeals. any suggestions, new or SH, would be appreciated..
to the scales. My current set is a no name with a timer. but I’m wondering if I’d really benefit from a set of Timemore Black Mirror. The Hario, though waterproofed, are a similar layout to my current scales, so a tad awkward .
again any suggestions, sub £100 would be nice.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I’ve had both grinders - the DF64 may need a few updates/tweaks to make it great but you’re more than capable 😀
I denied myself getting the Niche for so long but it is fantastic out of the box
DF64 is noisier too if that’s a consideration
I’d be tempted by the 64 and spend the rest on beer 😎

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve had both grinders - the DF64 may need a few updates/tweaks to make it great but you’re more than capable 😀
I denied myself getting the Niche for so long but it is fantastic out of the box
DF64 is noisier too if that’s a consideration
I’d be tempted by the 64 and spend the rest on beer 😎
I'm Mechanically capable. But have no experience of grinders. But then I’m buying new, so didn’t expect to need it. Humm.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
theres loads of 3d printed stuff about, if you want ease out the box order the niche,

the df has the option of various ssp burrs, but the need for modding or alignment,

could always get a mazzer haha

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I’ve had a modest windfall and am looking to spend a portion on my equipment.

it’s not enough to cover an espresso machine. My Classic still has more to offer me, as I advance. But it will get a new shower holder, so it won’t feel too left out.
so I’m looking for advice on my grinder and scales.
I’ve set a limit of £550 for the grinder
I’ve currently an MC2 with mini hopper, as my grinder. My first though is a new Niche. But then a single does Solo DF62, SH all so appeals. any suggestions, new or SH, would be appreciated..
to the scales. My current set is a no name with a timer. but I’m wondering if I’d really benefit from a set of Timemore Black Mirror. The Hario, though waterproofed, are a similar layout to my current scales, so a tad awkward .
again any suggestions, sub £100 would be nice.
What do you like to drink?

Are you an espresso drinker? If so, what coffees do you like?

These are the kind of questions I'd be asking myself. I personally prefer a filter which has high clarity and fruitness, but an espresso with more body.

So I used a 64mm flat for filter and want to get a niche at some point (currently using a JXPro).

On the side of your classic, what mods have you done? I am about to do a video/post with all of mine. I think I have the full set, but the pre-heat mod (really not hard) was the best of the lot. The improvement is significant.

I have

PID
Dimmer for flow/pressure control.
Front mounted pressure gauge
Pre-heat mod with copper coil
Upgrade to new Invensys pump
Brass shower plate
Powdercoated case - matt black
Wooden bits.

·
Registered
153 Posts

These are the kind of questions I'd be asking myself. I personally prefer a filter which has high clarity and fruitness, but an espresso with more body.

So I used a 64mm flat for filter and want to get a niche at some point (currently using a JXPro).

On the side of your classic, what mods have you done? I am about to do a video/post with all of mine. I think I have the full set, but the pre-heat mod (really not hard) was the best of the lot. The improvement is significant.

I have

PID
Brass shower plate
Wooden bits.
without wanting to derail the thread, i’m looking forward to your classic mod thread. not heard of the pre heat mod. i’ve thought about a pid but never got round to doing it. not sure i’ve felt the need. all i have is the opv and silvia wand.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I have

PID
Brass shower plate
Wooden bits.
PID.
Brass Shower plate.
looking into pre heat.
Insulated Boiler
no dimmer. AC hates variations in voltage Whatever do dahs you put in line. though looking into an on the fly water pressure regulator. Or possibility of said.
I like Espresso based drinks. I can enjoy a flat white as much as a straight double. I’ve an old Hario Mini for V60, if I have visitors.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
PID.
Brass Shower plate.
looking into pre heat.
Insulated Boiler
no dimmer. AC hates variations in voltage Whatever do dahs you put in line. though looking into an on the fly water pressure regulator. Or possibility of said.
I like Espresso based drinks. I can enjoy a flat white as much as a straight double. I’ve an old Hario Mini for V60, if I have visitors.
The pre-heat is great.
The pump has been fine with a dimmer for well over a year, no issues at all. Maybe it will go in the future, but for £15 a pump I'm not too bothered to be honest. What it can give you in terms of control well outweighs the cost.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve my eye in a pre heat, from the pages of this forum. A rather elegant use of an sealed aluminium junction box and some pipe. plumbing it into the OPV is a problem mind you. Though could be fixed by removing the OPV and fitting a 2019 spring unit. I’d rather not.

The OCD side of me loves the organisation and the clever tech. But I have to be realistic.
I DID smoke for more than 40 years, I have major nose problems. I doubt I could taste the difference pre infusion makes. Nor, come to that, the difference between flat or conical burrs. I’ll bet I couldn’t pick a Niche from a £4000 grinder, either. I did however notice an immediate improvement when the MC2 arrived.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I’ve my eye in a pre heat, from the pages of this forum. A rather elegant use of an sealed aluminium junction box and some pipe. plumbing it into the OPV is a problem mind you. Though could be fixed by removing the OPV and fitting a 2019 spring unit. I’d rather not.

The OCD side of me loves the organisation and the clever tech. But I have to be realistic.
I DID smoke for more than 40 years, I have major nose problems. I doubt I could taste the difference pre infusion makes. Nor, come to that, the difference between flat or conical burrs. I’ll bet I couldn’t pick a Niche from a £4000 grinder, either. I did however notice an immediate improvement when the MC2 arrived.
Yes I saw the aluminium box idea and thought it was a more elegant way of doing things. The copper coil all works excellently and wasn't too expensive, But was probably harder to fit.
That being said with the right tools and connections it was fine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well in the end my mind was made up for me. The black DF64 went out of stock. They had white ones, with tungsten burrs and a bellows. But the price is £250. Now that’s way too close to the price of the Niche. So I ordered a Niche.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Funnily enough @Alfie4Coffee I’d have just about enough time, to get back from Australia, before it git here.
it arrived today at 10.am.
now just waiting for the beans, royal Mali “ diverted” yesterday.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts