The Coffee Bean Van And Roaster

Thread: Wet Puck / Dry Puck?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Wet Puck / Dry Puck?

Is there any significance to whether your puck should look dry after extraction - sometimes my puck has a pool of liquid on top of it when I remove the portofilter - is this an indication of wrong grind or coffee quantity for the basic?

Thanks,
    Gaggia Classic (PID, OPV Mod & Silvia Wand), Acasco i2, Madebyknock Tamper, Baratza Encore, Clever Dripper, Aeropress

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had lovely shots from both scenarios - solid bone-dry puck / sloppy mud-bath. This can be down to coffee used, dose & basket characteristics.

I did a bit of an experiment on this - Ill try and dig out the post and add the link

edit - found it http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread...highlight=puck
    Last edited by garydyke1; 23-08-12 at 11:37.
    @garydyke1
    Tasting the rainbow

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link - it suggests that it might be related to the physical amount of the coffee vs basket size so I might try some experimentation. Its good to know that it is independent of good tasting espresso.
    Gaggia Classic (PID, OPV Mod & Silvia Wand), Acasco i2, Madebyknock Tamper, Baratza Encore, Clever Dripper, Aeropress

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use a Gaggia Syncrony and when new the pucks were lovely and dry but 20,000 cups later they had become quite wet but coffee still quite good. Situation was improved somewhat when I re-greased (with vaseline) the brew unit's moving parts. I feel it wasn't being compressed as tightly as it might have been due to lack of lubrication.

Post Thanks / Like

I also found it to do with the headspace at the top. 18g exactly in my VST basket and puck is fine. If I underdose in the basket I can get good shots but usually always wet.
    Gaggia Classic @ 9bar pressure
    Iberital MC2 grinder
    18g + 22g VST Baskets. Using the 22 exclusively.
    madebyknock VST tamper
    Bottomless PF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garydyke1 View Post
    Ive had lovely shots from both scenarios - solid bone-dry puck / sloppy mud-bath. This can be down to coffee used, dose & basket characteristics.

I did a bit of an experiment on this - Ill try and dig out the post and add the link

edit - found it http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread...highlight=puck
    Thanks Gary - really useful...

Post Thanks / Like

My gaggia has no opv, so mine are nearly always wet lol. But as there is no opv, I usually just leave the puck in place until the unit naturally loses pressure. By this time the pucks are dry.

Post Thanks / Like

When I had a Gaggia Baby the puck was always very wet. With the Silvia it is always dry. I think the difference is in how the three ways solenoid works in both machines as in the Silvia I get much more water in the waste tray.
    Rancilio Silvia V3 with Auber PID, Eureka Mignon.